Monday, February 16, 2015

Raising Dough for Israel

by Ora Friedman for FreshInkForTeens.com

How I pulled off a charity bake sale in only four days.


I am looking at a long table filled with watermelon-shaped cookies, chocolate trifle, chocolate mousse, Kahlua cakes and more. I wish I could taste Rebbetzin Shevi Yudin’s Napoleon — graham crackers covered with luscious whipped cream, fresh strawberries, juicy mandarin oranges and plump blueberries. I can’t believe how much we have accomplished in less than four days.

This summer I spearheaded a bake sale to support Israeli victims of the war in Gaza. When I heard about the outbreak of fighting I wanted to help and, as a teenager, I wanted to find a way for other teens to raise money for Israel.

My committee and I began with a goal of $500. All the proceeds would be donated to OneFamily, a non-profit organization that supports victims of terror in Israel. OneFamily began when Michal Belzberg, 12, heard about a terror attack in Jerusalem at the time of her bat mitzvah. She cancelled her bat mitzvah and donated all of its expenses to Israeli victims of terror.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment