Monday, January 26, 2015

Drawn together by hopes for peace


By Jacob Greene, Special to the Jewish Sound

For several months this year, I lived in Israel. The majority of my time I spent studying with Alexander Muss High School in Israel, along with 29 American and Canadian teenagers, with support from an Israel scholarship from the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle. While we spent Sunday through Friday morning in school, Saturday was generally our day off or “Open Shabbat,” and an opportunity to go off campus to visit friends and relatives around the country.

Luckily for me, I had many friends in Israel, all of whom I met through Ultimate Peace (UP), an organization that brings together Israeli Jewish, Arab Israeli, and Palestinian youth through the sport of Ultimate Frisbee. At the end of my study abroad program, I would be staying on in Israel to participate in UP as a coach in training for a second summer. Needless to say, I was excited to see my friends and visit them in their cities and villages.

It is not uncommon for teenagers to travel around Israel on their own or in groups, as the country is so small. With detailed directions from my friends, I took local transportation and visited Noa in Binyamina, Yabi in Raanana, and Hassan in Kabul. Each visit was unique and a chance to experience a different way of life.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment